|21 Armour Blvd|
Click here for details
Armour Heights is an established Toronto neighbourhood with a rich history. The Don River Valley, Earl Bales Park and the Don Valley Golf Course form a natural boundary along the north and east end of this neighbourhood. Highway 401, one of Toronto's main commuter highways winds its way discreetly through the centre of this neighbourhood.
The area is named after John Armour, a farmer who was granted a concession to the area sometime before 1837. He sold the eastern part of his land to the Hogg brothers in the middle of the nineteenth century, and it later became Hogg's Hollow. The rest of his property remained in the Armour family until just before the First World War when it was purchased by developer and speculator Colonel F.B. Robins. Robbins built a large estate for himself named Strathrobyn, but his development plans were put on hold by the war. He decided to
loan out the lands to the military and an
air training facility was established. It mostly trained American pilots and
among other figures saw Amelia Earhardt work there.
|21 Armour Blvd|
After the war the airfield became the base for Bishop-Barker Aeroplanes Limited, operated by war heroes Billy Bishop and William George Barker. The air force returned to the area in 1942 when it leased Strathrobyn as an officer's mess and training school. It remains in service today as the Canadian Forces College, one of the main
trainingfacilities of the Canadian Forces.
The residential tone of Armour Heights was inspired by Strathrobyn the magnificent Tudor stone mansion set back from the street at the north-east corner of Yonge Boulevard and Wilson Avenue. Strathrobyn was built in 1914 for Colonel Frederick B. Robins. It is now owned and operated by the Canadian Armed Forces as a staff
|21 Armour Blvd (click here for video)|
Armour Heights' houses were built over time from the 1920's to the 1970's. These houses range in size from modest two-storey three bedroom homes to the impressive Tudor Manor houses situated on the spectacular ravine lots along Sandringham Drive.